Armchair Travels is an ongoing series where we create an itinerary for virtual vacation that you can take from the comfort of your own home. We would love to hear how your armchair travels go, photos are most welcome!
- Find a busy park (that would be good for people watching)
- Find an art museum near you
- Buy anything that you don’t have on the list below.
What You Need:
Note: We give suggestions for authentic ingredients/supplies where it makes sense, but you can substitute items that are easier to get if you want to.
- An I love New York T-shirt
- A copy of the New York Times
- One of the following movies
- Authentic New York Bagels or the address of a bakery that makes fresh bagels near you
- Ingredients to make falafels & tahini sauce or the address of a food stand, food truck or quick lunch spot
- Authentic New York Pizza, ingredients to make NY pizza or the address of a New York style pizzeria near you
8AM Happy Morning!
1. Put on your I love New York T-shirt and get ready for a day of fun big city style.
2. Full Screen this great Billy Joel song to get yourself into a New York State of Mind (yes it’s true, Billy Joel used to have a lot of hair and smoked cigarettes while playing piano).
3. Imagine you just opened a window and this was your view. Sing along with Billy Joel while you imagine this.
4. Follow it up with some Frank Sinatra.
1. What New York breakfast would be complete without freshly made bagels? Go out and grab a bagel from a local bakery, pretend people are moving around 2X as fast as they really are & have your money in hand when you reach the cashier. If you ordered authentic New York bagels, skip the bakery & enjoy one now.
2. Make some fresh coffee and drink it out of New York Paper Coffee Cups while reading the New York Times.
10AM Museum Hop
New York has amazing museums galore. We’ll spend part of our morning touring some creative exhibits around New York City.
1. Check out over 119 fabulous works of the haute couture at The Museum of the City of New York.
3. Listen to historic audio clips from the Guggenheim’s Reel to Reel collection.
4. Visit the Arms and Armor Galleries at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (My favorite place to be in the Met) and then visit the connections gallery where curators give their personal perspectives on art from the Museum’s collection.
5. Buy something awesome, like tone of these sky umbrellas, from the MoMA store and then take a free online course about exploring the work of Jackson Pollock. While you are at it, spend some time exploring the murals of Diego Rivera.
2. Now for a subway ride! First familiarize yourself with NYC subways by browsing subway pictures from as early as 1910 all the way to current day. Next full screen this and pretend you are trying not to make eye contact with your friends across the car. Finish your trip to the subway by watching a subway performance by the Blue Man Group.
3. Meet the lost tribes of New York City and next time your actually in New York say hi to them (it’s New York City after all, no one will think you are crazy). After that check out some spontaneous street performance and if you are feeling brave write your own rap.
4. Now on to the largest park in New York City, Central Park. Visit some must sees like the Great Lawn and the Obelisk.
5. Now it’s time to see our lovely lady of liberty, take a free ferry ride to Staten Island and look at the beautiful views of lower Manhattan, Brooklyn, & the Statue of Liberty.
And then for fun, keep a straight faced, barely bothered New York attitude as you watch dancers take over the ferry.
Next let’s get a closer look. Take an e-tour of the statue and then check out these views live from the Statue of Liberty.
6. Next we will visit nearby Ellis Island. First look at the view from Ellis Island and imagine what it must have been like for the immigrants who were turned away or were quarantined because of illness, to be so close to their dream yet to find it unreachable.
Next search to see if your family name is in the records at Ellis Island. Then follow in the footsteps of immigrants in this interactive Tour of Ellis Island.
12PM Lunch and a Walk
1. If you are lucky enough to live in a city with food trucks or food stands get ye to one and enjoy a quick bite to eat. If not, time to make a New York fav, falafels!
2. Now you and your falafel sandwich are going to go on a walk. In New York there are food stands and quick lunch spots all over the place and one of the easiest quick lunches is to buy some food and eat it while you walk around the city. Explore your neighborhood while eating your falafel sandwich. Make like Bill Cunningham & bring your camera and take some pictures – after the falafel eating that is!
If you have extra time & a netflix account check out this great documentary on Bill Cunningham.
2PM People Watching
1. To get you in the mood, watch this, but I really really want you to go and do this activity in real life.
2. Go to a park, find a fountain or a park bench and just watch the people that pass you. That’s all, just watch the people who pass, wonder where they are going, where they’ve come from… you get the picture.
4PM Make NY Style Pizza
1. Take a moment to learn about the history of New York City pizza.
5PM Watch a movie while eating a slice
Pick one of the following movies to watch while you eat your pizza.
8PM New York at Night
2. Follow that up with the bright lights of Times Square at night and then add your wish for the next year to the New Year’s Eve Wishing Wall. Your wish will be printed onto a piece of confetti and added to the ton of confetti that is dropped in Times Square on New Year’s eve.
10PM A Bedtime Story
1. Soak your feet in some warm water (you would be definitely doing this after such a busy day in New York)
2. Listen to an excerpt from the mixed up File of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (near the bottom of the page).
3. Go to sleep & dream big city dreams.
About the Author: Kate is a travel junkie at heart. She lives for exploring cultures, food, history and local life and is currently scheming ways to get enough time free to walk the Camino de Santiago de Compostela. Get Trip Logic Updates by Email.