A few key words and phrases are all you need to learn in order to travel easily in a foreign country. We’ve always thought that you could get by with just the words hello, this, and sorry, but that would be taking the hard road and we don’t want that for you!
If you want to travel better, learn this list of 50 key words and phrases that will help you travel with ease in a foreign country.
- Thank You
- I’m Sorry
- Excuse me
- I need help
- I do not speak (language)
- My name is _________
- I am looking for _________ (restaurant, building, landmark, etc)
- I want to go to __________
- The bill please
- I don’t understand
- I don’t know
- I need a doctor
- Where is (the) ________?
- How much does it cost?
- How do you say ______? (for use when pointing to objects)
- Do you speak (language)?
- What is your name?
- Could you please repeat what you said?
- men and women (to recognize on restroom signs)
- food types: bread, fish, meat, chicken, water, soda, etc.
- this (for use when pointing)
- days of the week
- numerals 1-15 and the multiples of 10s
photo credit: woodleywonderworks